Coolhunting is a term that comes from the world of marketing and advertising which can be translated as ‘trend hunting’. As a profession, the main activity is trend’s prediction related to changes concerning consumer’s culture, fashion and any other sector in the market that can be studied. This information has a great impact to help companies to be prepared to take advantage of social trends. Those who are dedicated to this are called “talent hunters”, “trend hunters”, “trendsetters” or, coolhunters.
What is a Coolhunter and what do they really do? A Coolhunter is someone who can see differently and see beyond. Someone tremendously curious and with an innate vision to detect (and even feel) what is next to come, in which direction the world is going, and most importantly to understand the reasons why. A coolhunter it is someone able to observe, to listen and to analyze society in order to summarize what will be the needs of consumers with a few months or years in advance. Through deep observation we can identify society’s changes and future models of consumer’s behavior. All this information will be used to analyze and forecast trends, to create inspiration panels and reports… And to be able to help all types of brands and companies to approach their targeted consumers and offer them what they want; or for brands and companies that are starting in any sector and they want to know what is really happening in the world so they can connect more and better their potential customers.
Where and how does a Coolhunter work? A coolhunter performs its activity generally as a freelance, either for fashion brands, or communication, advertising, marketing agencies. Internet and digital media have revolutionized the coolhunting field, giving rise to new techniques of research, hunting and forecasting trends. These new techniques are included under the methodology called digital coolhunting or coolhunting 2.0. A Coolhunter spends many hours in front of the computer, analyzing, creating inspiration panels or studying, as well as many hours walking and taking pictures in the streets as well as traveling around the world. Beside being professionals dedicated to the identification and forecasting of trends, coolhunters’ are also called “trendsetters”: considered the group of consumers capable of influencing the decision making of the people around them in such a way that they can create trends, new fashion and have the power to drive and change the development of a brand.
Interesting links: (some of them are only in Spanish)
- Cómo ser una coolhunter de moda y no morir en el intento
- Coolhunting Masterclass by Fashion Coolhunter: Clara De Nadal Trias
- Seis claves para ser coolhunter – Escuela de Diseño LCI Barcelona
- Libros sobre Coolhunting
- Si te gusta la moda, 10 libros que no te puedes perder
- Coolhunting Magazine – La revista especializada en coolhunting y tendencias
- A real coolhunter for a cool magazine
- Trendguide.com – the DNA of style and global trend scout network
- Coolhunting.pro – El coolhunting digital o coolhunting 2.0
- Tendencias Tv – Coolhunting e investigación de tendencias cualitativas
- The Unlimited Edition Magazine – Revista online de Coolhunting en castellano, especializada en Moda y Belleza
- Asociación Española de Coolhunting – Asociación nacional de coolhunting empresarial